My Project Topic Brainstorm

(Image Information: image by Koshevaya_k)

 From nearly the beginning, I have always been extremely interested in the Celtic, English, and Welsh stories. As a writer, I tend to gravitate and gain more writing ideas from this region, which is not to say the stories from other countries are not good because they are compelling. Though these creatures of the UK folklore sound fascinating. 


Changeling

I have always been wanted to write about changelings. The folklore of stolen children has been told throughout medieval Europe. These changelings are believed to the child of the faeries, which are left in the place of a stolen human child. These tales were meant to explain why infants were affected by unknown diseases or disabilities. In the Changeling poem, a mother expresses her love and sorrow for her daughter who was taken away by angels or some unknown creature. In the readings about Scottish Changelings and Irish Changeling Beliefs, the authors explain and give examples of Scottish and Irish blind beliefs and paganistic rituals they performed.

Here's an example of changeling logic from one of my favorite shows, Outlander.


Fairy Tales

Fairy Tales are some of my favorite stories to read and write. Princesses, mythical creatures, princes, and captain of the guards are what pull me into these stories time and time again. The European and celtic are classic examples. One of my most recent and favorites is the East of the Sun and West of the Moon. Now, this story is similar to the Frog Prince, but the the prince is a polar bear. I'm interested in retelling this story. However, there are many other fairy tales like The Princess and the Pea or Thumbelina. I would also like to write the villains' side of stories.


Celtic Creatures 

These creatures are both creepy and fansnating. I love all the faeries, red caps, selkies, mermaids especially when tied to the UK lore. One creature I haven't seen explored enough are the Redcaps. Redcaps are grisly looking creatures similar to gnomes and where a redcap except they kill and soak their caps in the victims blood. Like I've stated previously I'm extremely interest in telling stories about the faeries. The ones who possess the world's beauty, pointed ears, and play cruel tricks on humans.

To get an idea of what faeries I'm interested in, these are several of my favorite faerie books I've read, which include of A Court of Thorns and Roses, The Cruel Prince, An Enchament of Ravens, and The Iron King.

I would love to write something that combines a lot of the Celtic creatures.

The Land of Oz

This is an extra option for me because this past summer I was struck with an interesting idea for Dorothy and the Scarecrow. My idea is slightly based on the Wizard of Oz film specifically on the line Dorothy says to the Scarecrow,

 "And I think I'll miss you most of all."


And then, she does what? She says this while hugging him and kisses him on the cheek. Now, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion also get a quick peck on the cheek, but the scarecrow gets an arguably sweeter good-bye with a hug, a little longer farewell speech, and a kiss on the cheek.

Apparently, the original script of the film there was a supposed to be a subplot where the Hunk aka the Scarecrow is going for college, but Dorothy has developed a crush on him and doesn't want him to leave. However, this was cut from the full verison of the script and didn't end up in the film except of this line.

Anyway all of this to say, I have an idea to make a Young Adult novel based on a romance between these two characters, and I want to use the original books as inspiration to expand upon.

There was a young adult series based Oz known as Dorothy Must Die, Dorothy has come back to Oz. Now, she rules it and is evil.

Now, I personally don't want make the original characters evil, but I love the idea of subverting what you'd expect from these characters. I would like to explore more of the characters and setting with the original books. One thing I've wanted to explore is the China Girl and her home of The Dainty China Country.

Comments