Microfiction: The lonely Shepherd and The Peri Wife


The Lonely Shepherd

(Image Information: Image by snapclusion)

A lonely shepherd played the flute when a beautiful woman appeared. They fell in love and married. Together, they had two sons, and he discovered they were Peris. If he were unfaithful or told their secret, she vowed he would never see them again. One day, the shepherd left for his past home, but his wife followed him and waited for him to tell her secret. Several days went by and revealed nothing of the Peris. On his last day, he told his first wife the truth. Upset, the Peri declared their relationship was over and vanished with their children.


The Peri Wife


Three years had passed since the heartbroken Peri wife took her two sons and left her dear husband. She remembered her vow but regretted leaving her love. Every day, she observed her shepherd play a sad tune on his flute and waiting for her. Stubborn and jealous by Peri nature, her time separated from him allowed her to make peace with his betrayal. It had been for the safety of his first children. Watching her sons grow made her see he had been right. So, when her shepherd came to the spot they met, she stood there with open arms.


Author's Notes:


I really enjoyed the story about the shepherd and his Peri wife. The moment I realized Peris were similar to the Celtic faeries I was excited. I really liked the tragic ending, however, for the second story, I wanted a happier ending. Even though I disagreed with him leaving his first family, I could see he cared for his children's well being. 

Bibliography

Fayiz and the Peri Wife translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer(1919)


Comments

  1. Hi Rachel!

    First off, I love the layout of your blog. I can tell you put a lot of effort into the creation of the blog, down to the font and images. Your story is also so great! I really like the way your writing describes the detail of how sad she was for leaving her husband, even though she vowed to do that if he told the truth. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I liked your switch on the ending in that they get back together instead of her completely cutting him off. I felt like, in that last part, you get to really see the relationship between the two, and how the Peri wife genuinely loved him. I also agree that him leaving his first family was definitely not it, but for the sake of his son's he had to make sure they were okay. Still, the occasional happy ending is good to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel,

    Nice job with the microfiction! They can be so limiting, but you packed a lot of story into a small amount of words. I love a happy ending, so I'm glad that the couple ended up together. If I had to make a suggestion, I would explain what Peri means. I looked it up, but it might be nice if you added in a picture or briefly put "fairy" somewhere to explain what a "peri wife" is (I think it's an uncommon term?). Good job though

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment