Microfiction: Futtle and Mourn

Futtle and Mourn

(Image of Information: Image by cottonbro)

Futtle

There once was a man named Futtle who sat on a bottle.

He flattened his bump on some rum.

He waddled because it hurt something awful.

Though he cried and said he might die.

No father or mother would mind because Futtle was the worst of humankind.


Mourn

The burning liquor went down Jack Copper's throat hard and fast like how the bullets from the gun went through Tommy's skull. The shot glass slammed against the chipped and aged red wooden bar. His hand traveled up his face past his scruff and halted at his wide-forehead.

Opening his eyes, Jack noticed the smudge of drying blood along the side of his left hand. Several crimson droplets were along his blue sleeve and trailed down his forearm. Jack pulled the sleeve forward, but his fingers marked were black from gun powder. 

What couldn't Tommy stay out of it?


Author's Notes:

The first story is a weird rhythm. It popped into my head, and I couldn't help to put it onto the page. I found myself chuckling as I was typing it. It's odd, but I somehow enjoyed it. If it wasn't clear, Futtle is a drunk and a bum to society.

The second story is something I actually was inspired to write by the above image. It's about a man who murdered his best friend. In my mind, this takes place in the late forties. Jack was a dirty cop who killed partner and best friend.

The image reminded me of film noir. I absolutely love film noir, which is not a genre but a style for cynical tone films from the mid-40s through the 50s. Some of my favorites are Sunset Boulevard, Gilda, The Big Sleep, and The Touch of Evil. I totally recommend as these films are darker than most films and have interesting stories. Now, I will admit there are some cheese elements in some, but some of these tropes we know were established from these films.



Comments

  1. Hi Rachel!

    I completely agree with the author's note. The first one made me chuckle! I love old rhymes because who knows what these people were thinking whenever they wrote it out the first time! I liked the second for a completely different reason. It is so amazing how you can make a reader feel something in such a short amount of words! You are very talented with microfictions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel!
    I enjoyed reading your microfictions, they were engaging and entertaining. One thing I could suggest is to proofread your last story. There are a couple spots where your flow is interrupted by a couple words being switched, but other than that they were interesting and fun reads. I think my favorite was your second one, as I cared for Jack, but then when it got to the end I was not too sure if he was the one I should be sympathizing for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment