My opinions on Growth Mindset

(Image Information: Image by Andrea Piacquadio)

I don't know about you, but I never knew there was a term for the idea known as the growth mindset.

Having never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset, I do have to admit I have heard the concept before, and I happen to agree with it. During my time at elementary and high school, I remember a few of my teachers would mention something similar about praising their students' hard work rather than only the end result.

I think this has something to do with students developing problem-solving skills. If they are praised for their intelligence alone, I agree with Dweck the students will not want to participate in anything challenging and therefore are less likely to gain the skills needed to problem-solve. But I do believe part of the issue is the will of the student as well.

Personally, I do think I have been placed and self-categorized myself to be praised for intelligence rather than the process. Even though it's hard to admit, I do struggle with challenging myself with harder tasks or assignments, but I ultimately do them because I see the benefits in the distance.


While at the University of Oklahoma, I have developed a better way to meet my learning needs, especially in writing. I understand hard work can you get far, but it mostly depends on an individual's mindset. In my field, I have learned there is a necessity in receiving and using feedback. This has to be one of my favorite and hardest things to do as a writer simply because there are plenty of helpful tips and suggestions. However,  some of the recommendations are difficult to apply without completely changing the original idea.

My biggest challenge has to be changing my mindset because without the proper mindset there can be no success. This is definitely a personal goal of mine to better as well as stopping a few of my past habits. I was to be more strict with my time management.




Comments